Thoughts on Single White Female

Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:20 PM By Simon

-Jennifer Jason Leigh is Bridget Fonda's doppleganger roommate who's also crazy, in case you haven't been present in the Western world for twenty-something years, you asshole.

-Well...this is this...

-I wasn't bored, but I really have nothing special to say about this. Quasi-Euro-trash, plenty of JJL nudity, etc.

-I liked Bridget Fonda more as an aging stoner chick in Jackie Brown. This is on purpose, probably, but she's just so...80/90s female protaganist, y'know? Sophisticated and metropolitan and she says shit like 'making love', and it just bugs the shit out of me. Jennifer Jason Leigh, meanwhile, is demented and off her shit and magnificent.

-Steven Webber, whatever his name is, is such a douche.

7 comments:

AK said...

Not sure how I feel about SWF-it was-eh- OK (LOVE Bridget Fonda), but it seemed like generic girl in peril stuff, but that one point, where the doppleganger came out looking JUST LIKE HER, that was a pretty cool moment.
Not sure if this is a comment or a question, but I'm not as sold on JJL as everyone else is. For ages I sought her out in anything and usually thought she was amazing (Hitcher, Rush and-of course-FTARH)but after seeing Georgia and Last Exit To Brooklyn on DVD, she started to seem like she could only inhabit trashy neurotic types comfortably; anything outside of that (Mrs. Parker and the Round Table comes to mind)felt really actressy (to me anyway). Not putting her down, I really admire and respect her--she's obviously profoundly intelligent--but...conflicting feelings.
Sorry to ramble on so, Simon, now you got me thinking about her!

April 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM
Simon said...

Rob: Don't you dare dismiss her Ms. Parker, my good sir. And of course it's always proper to consider her epicness, no need to apoligise. How do you spell apoligise? I always spell it with a 'z', now I'm spelling it with an 's'. And how many 'i's are in the damn thing? And it's Ms. Parker and the Vicious Circle. Although Round Table would've been cool too. Less of a mouthful. Oh, shit, I'm rambling now. Carry on.

April 20, 2011 at 1:11 AM
M. Carter @ the Movies said...

Ah, yes -- without this classic, the phrase "He/she is 'Single White Female-ing' me!" would be lost to the world. And no one would get the jokes about puppies being thrown off balconies.

April 21, 2011 at 7:38 AM
Franz Patrick said...

I say "making love." It's more romantic than "fucking." =p

That said, I haven't seen the movie.

April 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Cinema Nostalgia said...

Have to agree with you on Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance, but then again she rarely disappoints. Wasn't her first movie one of those television movie of the week sort of thing in the early 1980's where she played an anorexic? I think that was the first time ever the term anorexia was ever used in any medium in the US.

April 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM