Thoughts on The Illusionist

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:00 PM By Simon

-A beautiful film by the director the the Triplets of Belleville. Okay?

-SPOILERS

-So, the little Scottish girl of this film has gotten a lot of flack for being, at best, inconsistent, at worst, an annoying, underdeveloped, selfish little brat. But I don't see it like that. She is a fairly young (fluctuating age, but whatever), naive, sheltered girl from a rural Scottish village (the kind that still speak primarily Gaelic), who is absolutely mystified by the illusionist, thinking he really is magic. She does not know that her constant asking for expensive clothes is a financial burden on him...like the coins he pulls from her ear, she thinks he just makes them appear out of nowhere. Notice how, at the end, he, in a hurry to convene with his new boss or whatever, he simply pulls a coin from his pocket, dropping pretenses.

And finally, in the rather heartbreaking end, he leaves her a note. You gotta be there to get how fucking sad it is. I cried, you bitches.

As always, some eloquent thought from an eloquent blogger. Peace out.

6 comments:

SugaryCynic said...

I want to see this SO BAD. Even with what people have been saying about the Scottish girl.

February 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Robert said...

I seeeeeeeeriously need to see this!!! Oh my gosh.

February 11, 2011 at 9:04 PM
"Yojimbo_5" said...

Desperate to see this, as I'm a fan of both Cromet and Tati--his kids were usually underdeveloped and could be as blithely cruel as Peckinpah's kiddies. I'm not even waiting for it to open at my local rep house...I'm gonna go to town!

February 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM
D Swizzle said...

you guys, she totally was crying.

February 12, 2011 at 9:26 AM
Chris said...

I haven't decided if this film is worth a look, is it childish, or can grown ups watch? The visuals look cool in the trailer, I must say

February 23, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Simon said...

Sugary: Dooooo iiiiiittttt.

Robert: See above.

Yojimbo: Cool. What's a rep house?

Danielle: Go away.

Franz: I one day hope to patent that anomaly.

moviesandsongs: I think adults would be more able to sit through it, because, y'know, no dialogue. Otherwise, it's one of those all-ages things.

February 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM