Happy Halloween/Birthday/Day of the Dead/Thoughts on Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs/Whatever

Monday, November 1, 2010 8:56 AM By Simon

-So, because my computer needs to get its shit together, I'm stuck with my Parent's computer, and as the risks for walk-ins is incredibly high, I'm forced to PG-only movies on Netflix. Honestly.

-Which leaves me: Best voice cast ever. That I can think of. At the top of my head.

-Bill Hader (Most undervalued castmember of admittedly abysmal SNL) plays Flint Lockwood, an inventor (who has a Nikola Tesla poster on his wall!) on an island obscured on maps under the 'A' in 'Atlantic', where everyone is forced to eat sardines after the sardine factory closes down. The horror.

-Anyways, he builds a machine that can turn water into food (hilariously, astoundingly impossible, and even if it were, how would that help, say, Ethiopia? One could argue their lack of food directly stems from their lack of water), but shit goes wrong, it ends up in the clouds, it starts raining cheeseburgers, Anna Faris is a wannabe weathergirl, James Caan is the dad with some bitchin eyebrows, Mr. T is a cop who loves his son, Bobb'e J Thompsan is his son, Bruce Cambell is the glutonous/nefarious mayor, Neil Patrick Harris is a monkey, etc.

-Why, this shit made my day. I was expecting, y'know, silly invisible-but-for-the-speed-of-nine-year-olds gags and whatnot, but this waa actually pretty awesome. I kind of wanted to slap the second half in the face, though.

So, here's how shit goes: Tritram Spencer at Waiting for John was so good as to blitz me with a cameo in one of his (weirder) posts:

(click to embiggen)

I did some motherfucking Trick r Treating, where I wore my normal clothes and asemi-nice coat I got two years ago and called myself a serial-killing hobo, my sister got lots of birthday presents, I got none (if I can't even count on her friends to get me something, who can I count on? Who!?)

And then life took a break so I could fall into a candy coma. Good day, all.

7 comments:

Sam Turner said...

Loved CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS. My favourite animation of 2009 (and yes I'm including UP in that).

November 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM
SugaryCynic said...

Is you b-day Halloween? That rocks! Also happy birthday, obviously.

November 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM
Luke said...

Cloudy with a Chance was definitely great fun! I was pleasantly surprised since I was heavily guarding my childhood copy of it in fear that it would be bastardized. And I'm definitely in favor of Bill Hader as most undervalued SNL player. His Vincent Price last week was genius!

November 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM
Simon said...

Film Intel: I'd expect nothing less.

Sugary: Obviously. And, no, it's the day after. That's why I owe it to the world to make my birthday a national holiday.

Luke: His Vincent Price is always genius. The rest of the show...

November 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM
Squish said...

Hi there Ripley,

October 27th marked the one year anniversary of the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die Club. Our gracious host and originator of this club, TheAnswerMVP2001, has put the club on Hiatus since July. Today, four months later, I am messaging you, as one of the original members of the club, to see if you are still interested in continuing the tradition of the 1001 Film club. Lets pick up where we left off, selecting films from the extensive 1001 Movies list for the club members to review, and also occasionally review the films that other members have selected.

Long ago, I decided to make 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die the main focus of my website, and this club was a great way of reading what others had to say on the subject, and I miss it. I would be honoured if you would agree to continue our year-old tradition in the same fashion as TheAnswerMVP2001 ran it. I would be happy to host our discussions on my site at Filmsquish.com.

Please let me know if this is something you'd like to continue. If we get enough people on board, I shall pick up the torch and keep it running.

Please feel free to contact me through the contact form at www.Filmsquish.com

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Squish

November 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM
Robert said...

I guess I need to watch Meatballs! It looks very adorably funny. Also, Bill Hader is amazing. He and Kristen Wiig are what I look forward to every week and their skits are always the best.

November 2, 2010 at 9:32 AM
CMrok93 said...

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, does a great job at keeping the whole family entertained, as well as providing great visuals to look at for people watching it alone.

November 2, 2010 at 6:13 PM