Thoughts on Gypsy 83

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:03 PM By Simon

-Sara Rue stars as a slightly overweight, goth aspiring musician who worships the ground Stevie Nicks walks on. Finding out about the 'Night of a Thousand Stevies' event in New York, she and her fellow goth bestie (Kett Turton) embark on a roadtrip where feelings are processed and revelations made and junk and shit.

-Perfectly fine little road movie, with some explicit gay sex and goths running amok and Karen Black.

-And...scene.

3 comments:

AK said...

I liked it too, but somehow it felt kinda pandering (but then I saw it on Logo!). I also liked that the two leads, as far as I know, weren't "rising young stars of tomorrow", just two likeable, obsessive characters. Haven't thought of this one in a while...

January 15, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Franz Patrick said...

You got me at "gay sex" but then just as quickly lost me at "goths." They do freaky shit! (Not that I know from personal experience...) Movie stereotypes are based on truth-ish.

January 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Simon said...

Rob: It is rather patronizing, cliche, yeah.

Franz: Except when they aren't. And these goths are pretty mild in terms of weirdness. It's all Stevie Nicks, funny clothes, and dancing about parks to Morrissey.

January 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM