Thoughts on Dexter (the show, season 1)

Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:13 PM By Simon

(courtesy of darling sister Danielle)

--First things first---is blood spatter analysist an honest-to-goodness profession and, if so, how does one obtain it? Is a degree required?

--I know this whole sweet-and-innocent act is to display how positively broken she is, but Rita's whole bit is really tap dancing at my last nerve. How does someone so naive end up with a frikken crackhead? And is anyone else reminded of Renee Squishyface when they hear her talk?

--Paul Bennett looks like he was picked off the That 70's Show set.

--I love---nay, adore---how Deb is going all respect me! one minute and then walking into work proclaiming how hard she fucked her boyfriend in his office the next. There's nothing wrong with singin' it, honey, but I don't wanna hear it when you get smacked in the ass by that Sassy Token Black Guy. Not my problem.

--You know what? Every single woman in this show thus far have been really extra annoying. Especially Deb. Dexter finds out that the man who named him as next-of-kin in his will is, in fact, his biological father and, oh shit, dead and what does she do? Get pissed that Dexter doubted his foster father for five seconds and got a blood test between him and this other guy. It was a perfectly fallable excuse and you need to shut your smoking little mouth and stick to being Exorcised (as Emily Rose, of course).

--Having said this, the chick who plays Deb Morgan is actually quite good at being extra annoying.

--My main concern is the...likeliehood of Dexter being an actual sociopath. I don't have any degrees or anything, but isn't a clinical sociopath devoid of all human emotion? From what I can tell, Dexter seems pretty able to connect to certain people in a very human way; his sister, for one. And he has a pretty strong affection for Rita and her kids. NOT TO MENTION the frenzy he went in during that therapy session, which looked pretty goddamn emotional to this viewer. Maybe he's just very charming, but he seems pretty in love with them. He's in the middle of sniffing out bodies on a douchelord's boat and his first thought is "I wonder if they'd like fishing...focus!". Yeah, maybe he feels a bit disconnected from society at large, but this could easily be Autism or Asberger's or something. And the intense need to kill, and lack of guilt for the act, may or may not stem from a severe form of schizophrenia. I don't know, but this does not make a sociopath to me. I watch Criminal Minds, I would know.

--Title sequence? Preverse and disturbing. Never have eggs looked so revolting.

9 comments:

Andrew K. said...

Okay, I get all that, but do you like it? Do you? Do you?

Michael C. Hall just has to win the Emmy this year. He just has to.

July 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM
D Swizzle said...

Oh, I do like it. Very much.

And yes, he does. He had a minor case of cancer. Throw him a bone for chrissakes!

July 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Ryan T. said...

I, too, am rooting for him to win. I actually JUST finished watching S2 of Dexter so looking forward to seeing your thoughts on that when you get the chance.

July 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM
Amber said...

I love, love, love, the title sequence. Usually, when I'm watching a show on DVD, I'll fast forward through the opening credits but I've never had any desire to do that with Dexter. And there's a little variation on the opening in the most recent season.

From what I understand about sociopaths, there are different degrees/levels. Like you said, Dexter is able to make connections with those around him but he has this compulsion to kill. I don't think that the two things have to be mutually exclusive, though, I guess they can be in certain cases. Then again, my degree is in Medieval European history, so what the hell do I know?

July 9, 2010 at 8:00 AM
Colin Biggs said...

I haven't seen this yet but plan on it soon.

July 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM
alana said...

The thing about drug addicts is a lot of "normal" people end up becoming one. It's not like a person is born a heroin addict (well some are, but that's different). Maybe it's because my parents were tweakers, but the idea that some one's husband deciding to shoot up dope and became a piece of shit person isn't that too far fetched for me. I love Rita though. She grows some backbone in season two and I think she suits Dexter perfectly.

I heard that Dexter is more of a sociopath in the books and much more likable on the show. I also don't think there's one way to be a sociopath.

July 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Franz Patrick said...

Funny, the intro makes me hungry every time I watch it. I love eggs too much.

Love this show, but didn't Hall win already?? (For Season 3.) I remember him going up on stage and thinking, "About fuckin' time!" Hopefully it wasn't wishful thinking turned reality (in my mind).

Since Julia Stiles will be in the upcoming season, I hope the percentage of annoying women, as a whole, will decrease.

July 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Franz Patrick said...

Oops, I mean Season 4* -- the one with the scary killer guy; the one we saw naked.

July 13, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Anonymous said...

Completely I share your opinion. In it something is also to me this idea is pleasant, I completely with you agree.
In my opinion, you are mistaken.
In it something is. I thank you for the help in this question, I can too I can than to help that?
What excellent interlocutors :)
Today I was specially registered to participate in discussion.

[url=http://shenenmaoyik.fashionblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.webstarts.com/?r=20130119030026][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkors0.buzznet.com/user/journal/17307946/history-handbags/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.weebly.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.michaelkorscheap2.sitew.us/#Page_1.A][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

March 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM