Thoughts on The Science of Sleep

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:48 AM By Simon

-This is one of those movies that I find I have nothing to say about...everything is just so agreeable and lovely and nice, neither complimenting nor insulting would do it justice. I can say how fantastic the leads of Charlotte Gainsburg and Gael Garcia Bernal are, how wonderful the stop/claymation dreams are, the pure preciousness of the plot and execution, how Bernal's character's behaviour--his inability to differentiate dreams from reality--would, in some typical world, would be considered delusional at best, schizophrenic at worst, but here, he's genuinely endearing, as is Gainsburgh, oh, look at all those languages that populate, Michael Gondry is brilliant, etc, etc...

-Oh. I did have something to say. Well.

-Enjoy this, in the meantime:


(I've decided that Tumblr is the greatest thing ever)

And this:

3 comments:

Alfindeol said...

Agreeable is a really great way to describe the movie. It wasn't the greatest thing I ever watched, but it was definitely 100% enjoyable.

July 23, 2010 at 4:05 AM
Luke said...

Ha. Most ironic movie ever. I've tried to watch it once, but I fell asleep. Now that's science.

July 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM
Michael said...

I think there's a disturbing edge underneath all the twee preciousness here. The more you think on it the more Bernal's character is one fucked up, mentally unstable dude. I guess how much of that was intentional on the part of the filmmakers is the question.

July 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM