Thoughts on Iron Man 2

Saturday, May 8, 2010 5:17 PM By Simon


Because I don't care enough for a full-fledged review:

-It's okay, pretty funny, until the last half hour, when everyone becomes a comic book cliche. Don Cheadle's Rhodes goes from dignified army man into wise-crackin' black sidekick. Natasha Romanov commits two superhero movie sins I will kill you for: Taking down her hair for battle, and yelling, "He's gone!" I can understand the spandex body suit, but wearing your hair loose while kicking ass just seems impractical. And, yes, sweetie, we can see that. Plainly.

-Nonetheless, Scarlett Johanson (I refuse to look up the proper spelling) and Samuel L. Jackson have now been in at least two comic book movies together, this and The Spirit. Now, while that movie was pretty awful, they were the most entertaining thing about it, as The Octopus and his deadpan, eye-candy sidekick Silken Floss. Here, they kinda play the same general roles, not really, but y'know. I gotta say, I quite like the idea of them being, like, besties or whatever.

-Creating a new atom to cure blood poisoning? You don't say. How far we've sunk into the ludicrousies of pseudo-science.

-I miss Jeff Bridges.

-Stan Lee confused for Larry King? That could totally happen.

-Okay, Paltrow. I am willing to give you another chance. Don't fuck this up.

--This movie...is so...loud.

--You know that supercute scene from the trailers, the 'You complete me' thing? The trailers lied. Horribly.

--New Inception trailer played before! More Joseph Gordon-Levitt than ever before! Marion Cotillard finally shows up! Cillian Murpy and Michael Caine speak and junk! TOM HARDY! My god, it was a room of nerdgasms.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I was entertained, but the movie had loads of issues, which I will highlight in my review next week. That Inception trailer was amazing though!

May 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM
SugaryCynic said...

gah, I can't wait to see this thing! Prolly gonna see it tomorrow. Not gonna lie, I rather like the idea of Scarlet and Samuel L. being pals. Also new Inception trailer gets me all kinds nerd-cited (its like being excited but nerdier)

May 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM
Hal said...

Yeah, dude. I hate to nitpick the details, but discovering a new element in a matter of a couple minutes? (In a scene that looks like Minority Report on LSD, no less)

Inception trailer is my favorite movie of 2010 thus far, despite only being 150 seconds long.

May 8, 2010 at 10:49 PM
Anonymous said...

I was sad the You Complete Me Scene went too. Apparently they took it out because they a) wanted the build up of them getting together to take longer and b) didn't want you to know what he was dropping into when he dropped otu of the plane. Although we'd all already seen that in the trailer. So bit of a fail there.
Still loved it though.

Good call on the hair. That is just dumb.

May 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM
Frank said...

I felt that Sam Rockwell was the closest thing to Jeff Bridges in the movie. It was pretty lame, and I still struggle to keep it at a 7. It tried to be way to smart for itself. Mickey Rourke was a nice touch, until he just hung around and didn't do anything for most of the movie.

Way lame.

Fuck Scarlett Johannson.

May 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM
Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

You almost got ScarJo's name right. Missed but a letter.

I thought the movie was pretty boring.

May 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM