Date Night

Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:27 PM By Simon

Directed by Shawn Levy, known for his lazy, literal date night movies, and starring Steve Carell, Tina Fey, and a myriad of awesome people in it is for a quickie.

I'm too lazy to look up a synopsis, you all know what it's about.

Basically, this is a really funny movie that gets too caught up in action sequences. Right when the humor really seems to be getting somewhere, we get a car chase or something.

Fey is basically playing Liz Lemon, which is not a bad thing at all. She gets some of the best lines, of course. Carell plays, not Michael Scott, but a loving, nice, devoted husband and father who, yes, is a bit of an idiot.

But the thing that distracted me was the appearences by a million awesome people. From Ari Gaynor, who shows up at the beginning and is funny at playing who she usually plays, but less drunk, to Mila Kunis and James Franco as the Tripplehorns, the low-rent couple the Fosters steal reservations from, what could've been an awesome cameo if it hadn't been advertised so much. In fact, most of the bigger stars only show up for five minutes.

I didn't like the music. It was so cliche, like "Blitzgreig Bop" during the opening. I didn't like the excuse to put Tina Fey in underwear and have Steve Carell poledance. I didn't like Common and the dude who I'm pretty sure was in Zodiac as the cops. I didn't like Leighton Meester as the conniving babysitter for five minutes. I didn't like the lazy camera work and action scenes.

I did like Tina Fey and Steve carell trying to out funny each other, an epic battle I'd pay to see for another two hours. I liked Marky Mark taking his shirt off again and being kind of funny, or maybe just getting funny lines (this may be because The Other Guys had a trailer before). I liked whoever the cab driver they rammed into was. I liked Mila Kunis and James Franco being hilarious. I like Ray Liotta's girl eyelashes. I liked the genuine drama of a couple who've gotten too comfortable with each other. I liked Mark Ruffalo and Kristen Wiig as the best friends of the Fosters and divorcing couple. I liked Taraji P. Henson.

I clearly remember Samantha Bee from The Daily Show being in the trailer, but not in the movie. Which sucks, because she's awesome.

Overall, a funny movie if you don't think about it too much, and are easily dazzled by celebrities.

1 comments:

Robert said...

Seeing Kristen Wiig made me so happy. Otherwise, you're so right, it just got too wrapped up in the action that it lost a lot of possible humor.

April 10, 2010 at 6:52 PM