Desert Island DVD

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:45 PM By Simon

Fandago Groovers has a challenge. I, being a chump, dig challenges. This one: pick 8 DVDs you'd take with you on a desert island. Naturally, I'll kick this contest's ass.

No particular order. No pictures, because my computer's being weird. I'll add some later.

1) Donnie Darko
I absolutely never get sick of you, Donnie dear. Your angstin and possible-delusions of a bunny named Frank, your mystery that leaves room for infinite interpretation. The biggest mystery: how, indeed, does one suck a fuck?

2) Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
So fun, it is. Michael Cera and Kat Dennings make a quirktastic pair, and the rousingness of every young hipster in New York coming together to search for their beloved Fluffy will surely cure my inevitable loneliness.

3) Inglorious Basterds
Shooting Hitler in the face since 2009. That's a bingo, gentleman. The Bear Jew abides. How many quote puns need I spiel before you get it?

4) Adam's Rib
Hepburn and Tracy, the first celebrity supercouple, the best at what they did, which was being awesome. Their bickering, their comfortable and lived-in relationship that cannot be acted, the plain feminism that even today you'll find hard to come by. Excellent, excellent, I'll need a dose every week, dealing with the office politics between I and the monkeys. Oh, Mr. Banana, you want to share my bananas? I'll have to shoot you in the shoulder, because as evidenced by Lady Hepburn, I'm just protecting my home. What?

5) The Great Dictator
Chaplin is always good for a pick-me-up, yes?

6) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet at their finest, a funny, poignant, heartbreaking, mind-dizzying look at the non-future that is the future. It'll help me not forget you, the people, while I slowly die of malaria or something.

7) Romeo + Juliet
The epic opening, as detailed awhile ago. The romance at the core. Mercutio in drag. The fantastic performances by Harold Perrineau and Christina Pickles, who make the dialogue not at all ridiculous. Romeo slew Tybalt, Romeo must not live!

8) I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK
Funny and quirky and trippy and I'll need to keep up with my reading also.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Complete libraries of Michael Gondry, Quentin Tarantino, Steven Soderbergh, Brick, I'm Not There, Serenity, (500) Days of Summer, Brazil, Monty Python, Dazed & Confused, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club.

17 comments:

Alex said...

Hmm these are some good choices (well, maybe not all are to my taste). I'm totally with you on Nick and Norah- it's so fun and easily rewatchable. Adam's Rib is an interesting pick, not sure why but I guess I wouldn't have expected it to be on any of these lists. Great movie, though!

Making this list was so hard. I did it a week ago and sent it in, and now I'm constantly doubting my choices!

April 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM
Wild Celtic said...

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
and
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
excellent.

April 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM
Olive said...

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. Didn't catch this at the cinema, but when I saw it on DVD a couple of weeks ago, was more than impressed!

April 11, 2010 at 4:24 AM
Nick said...

Wow... somebody else on the planet who has seen "I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK." Awesome. I love that movie.

Though I just finished teaching Romeo and Juliet to a bunch of 14-15 year olds and had to endure watching Romeo+Juliet roughly 6-7 times in succession mixed in with wild complaints and endless talking. Needless to say, I'm a bit tired of the whole subject.

April 11, 2010 at 7:37 AM
Castor said...

Good list Ripley! I love Eternal Sunshine but I think I might grow depressed on my own so that might be a dangerous one to bring. Thumbs up on Donnie Darko and Inglourious Basterds, two highly re-watchable movies.

April 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Aiden R. said...

I'd be more than happy to be stuck on an island with Inglourious Basterds by my side. Good picks, need to check some of these bad boys out myself.

April 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM
Fletch said...

Nick (and Simon) - I've got Cyborg on the DVR - it's only a matter of time before I see it.

Good point about the reading, though even English-language movies have subtitles available.

I didn't take Donnie, but I did take Southland Tales. ;)

And I'm a bit surprised at the lack of people taking Eternal Sunshine. It was my first choice.

April 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM
Kai B. Parker said...

Great List... Sunshine is getting a lot of love... Is Cyborg the Park Chan Wook flick?

April 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Simon said...

Yes. Between Lady Vengeance and Thirst.

April 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Heather said...

Great list. Clearly you are inspired to have movies that will mess with your head.

I like the mix of deep movies, action, and romance.

April 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM
Anonymous said...

Ripley, you're one of the few who listed "Inglourious Basterds" as a must-see Desert Island DVD. Way to go! Best movie of 2009 hands-down. Respek to "The Hurt Locker" and all. "Eternal Sunshine" SHOULD BE everyone's romcom pick because it's so much deeper than a romcom. This is the first I've seen of "Donnie Darko," but Jake Gyllenhaal + nightmarish visions + crazy-evil bunny = good island entertainment. If you're into that kind of thing.

April 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM
Simon said...

I am. See above.

April 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Marc said...

Although I myself didn't pick it for this go round, I still undoubtedly adore Basterds. So glad to see that very refined individuals (you and M.Carter) have put it on your list. Just a superb movie and it deserved the Oscar this year if you ask me.

April 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM
Anonymous said...

I wouldn’t be to upset with these movies if they washed-up on my island. Donnie Darko came very close to my own list. Thanks again for joining in.

April 13, 2010 at 7:12 AM
The Film Cynics said...

What's the best thing about this list? It's got titles that I wouldn't have even watched in regular civilization. I'm thinking I need to expand my viewing window a little bit... The Great Dictator would make for some great viewing as a pre-amble for Inglourious Basterds. Perhaps you can have a double-feature screening on the island one night? Now that's culture!

April 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM
Ross McD said...

I cannot bring myself to watch Nick & Norah's Infinite PLaylist, despite so many positive reviews, because of that awful, awful title. I just can't!

April 14, 2010 at 8:04 AM
Ryan McNeil said...

Wow-eee!! Super Duper Mega-Points for THE GREAT DICTATOR... A classic that does not get nearly enough love from our generation as it should. To this day, it remains one of the funniest, most pointed, and most elegant movies of all time.

I certianly could spend many a sun-soaked day watching that impromtu ballet with the globe.

Great list overall, but THE GREAT DICTATOR would have me sending smoke signals to your island from mine to see if you wanted to hang out.

April 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM