Thoughts on SNL last night

Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:50 AM By Simon

Okay, SNL. I gave you another chance. I've been only half-watching for months now, before falling asleep after Weekend Update because I knew you'd suck balls anyway. But, now, I sat through until the very, very end, and you know why? Because Gabourey Sidibe is so fucking delightful I had no choice. I can't say I was pleased by the result, but I certainly did not become violently angry as I did during the Jennifer Lopez episode.

Let's take the Digital Short, for example. It was funny, weird, hypnotic, and kind of beautiful. I won't apoligise for that either. And I'm not ashamed to admit I choked up.


(by the way, enjoy Hulu now, because they start charging next month)

I must say, I was also impressed swith one of the opening sketches, a riff on the 'cranky old lady' gag.



And then, Weekend Update, which I always like, because Seth Meyers has a kind of Jon Stewart feel, and usually all the good one-liners are reserved for this, probably the most rewatchable of the show. They brought out one of their writers, comedian John Mulaney, who I kind of hope Tina Fey's that shit--as in, they actually start promoting their writers instead of pulling all these chicks from the underground of half-baked comedy troupes.



So, SNL. Betty White will be hosting soon. You're on the right track, but you have a long way to go. Get your shit together.

1 comments:

Robert said...

Yesssss. Gabby was absolutely hysterical last night. She's exactly what SNL needs...they have so been sagging. The cherry battle was amazing.

April 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM